There are a lot of things going on on this plate, however, I will share the recipe for braised cabbage here, as it was really the star of the show here.
It's very simple to prepare, the only thing is it needs to cook for about 1.5 hours, so you need to plan ahead. It can also be prepared the day before (I'd argue it is even better)
- 1 red cabbage: cored and shredded
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice (olive oil, goose fat, etc)
- 250 ml stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar (I use coconut sugar, as it's got a lower GI, but brown sugar or any sugar for that matter would be fine)
Use an oven proof dish (with a lid)
Soften the onion in the fat, add the cabbage, sugar, vinegar & stock
Cover and braise in the oven at 140 degrees for 1.5 hours minimum (check the liquid from time to time and top up if it gets dry).
It is served here with roasted golden beetroots (another superb vegetable), roasted potatoes (in goose fat - this used to be one of my favourite side dish but I now find potatoes a very dull and plane tasting side compared to other vegetables) and pan-fried cavolo nero (or black kale). All the vegetables are accompanied by a roasted 5-spice duck breast.
IIN qualified health coach, foodie, mum of 2, wife of 1, ex corporate advertising executive, RA warrior